Parents are a vital part of our school. Support and understanding from parents is essential if the school is to realize its aims. Without a continuation of the school’s philosophy in the home situation the school day becomes an “isolated island” and not an integrated part of the child’s life.
Parents consult with their children’s teachers at regular intervals and our teachers encourage lots of communication. Parent meetings and socials are also held periodically to discuss the functioning of the school. And our parents participate at school in many practical ways, too. We realize that every parent has different talents and interests, and their availability varies as well. Participation in some area is expected! Our experience has shown that the more closely a parent is able to work with the school, the more understanding this promotes. This makes life at The New School a more profitable experience for both the parents and children.
All New School families contribute to maintenance workshops held at the school. Beyond that, parents are invited to be directly involved in the school in many ways, including:
- Classroom, project and field trip assistance
- Cooking with the kids on regular cooking days or for special projects
- Sharing skills or hobbies that tie in with projects and enrich the curriculum
- Fund raising planning and participation
- Music, sound, lighting & recording for plays and other events
- Computer and Website maintenance